Tuesday 16 April 2013

Major Project - long dress

I have made my drafted pattern and my toile, this outfit I left to the end as I believed it was the easiest one of the four, I am happy i did so as It was quite easy to draft the pattern, I will need to make sure I have enough fabric to fulfil with pattern as it will require a wide pattern that includes the sleeve as there are no seams just side seams.
I have also had a think about the bottom of the dress. My initial design showed a lot of fabric at the bottom, the was wider than the area the the dress first hits the floor, this would require the fabric being made larger at the point of weaving the fabric, I am not fortunate enough to be able to weave my fabric, so I needed to come up with an alternative design that stayed true to my original.
I have decided to have a slit up each side starting at the thigh, the front panel will then stop at the point it hits the floor. the back will become wider from the point it leave the front and will hit the floor and continue to lay on the floor for about half a metre, this will give the volume I wanted without compromising the wearers steps and keeps true to the original design.
I need to also think about the large origami at the front and back. These can not be attached directly to the dress and the weight of the cotton origami will be too much for the jersey dress fabric.
It would make much more sense to build the origami structure as a separate piece, like and over skirt, perhaps hooking together the front and back pieces with hook and eyes at the sides and using this fastening as the anchor that keeps the structure secure at the hip.


No comments:

Post a Comment